WOAR: Philadelphia's Sexual Abuse Crisis Center
Women Organized Against Rape (WOAR) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to eliminate sexual violence through specialized treatment services, comprehensive prevention education programs, and advocacy for the rights of survivors of sexual assault.
- WOAR provides free counseling for women, men, and children who have experienced sexual violence.
- WOAR's professional staff and committed volunteers provide comprehensive sexual assault advocacy services, and community and professional training.
- WOAR’s Direct Services Department provides a 24-hour hotline, free individual and group counseling to children and adults who have experienced sexual abuse/sexual assault, counseling in Spanish, hospital and court accompaniment, and Latino outreach services.
- WOAR’s Education Department offers trainings on issues of sexual violence within schools, social service organizations, and the community at large on issues of violence.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO PROMOTE CHANGE?
1. Call your politicians
2. Use proper verbiage with awareness
3. Understand & educate on CONSENT
4. Reinforce BELIEF
WHAT TO DO WHEN SOMEONE CONFIDES IN YOU:
1. Listen & BELIEVE
2. Affirm them
3. Provide resources
4. Maintain boundaries for yourself
HANDS AROUND CITY HALL
Come join us in raising our voices against sexual violence on April 28th, 2017 from 12-1pm.
Help us to form a human chain of people around City Hall; joining hands in a moment of silence as we honor the many people who have experienced sexual assault and draw attention to the work that needs to be done to ensure continued support of agencies like WOAR. We are trying to break the mold of marches to protest or stand against an issue of social injustice. This is something that is fresh and innovative and we are looking forward to your joining us!
We will meet on the steps near the north side of City Hall
Check-in is at 11:30am
Help us to COMPLETELY encircle City Hall to show solidarity in supporting those affected by sexual violence. Come hear survivors and advocates speak on sexual violence and their healing while learning more about WOAR services.
Kristen Scatton, ReVamp's associate artistic director & resident playwright, at WOAR - Philadelphia's Sexual Abuse Crisis Center's Hands Around City Hall event